Scientist/CTO at Soterix Medial (2011-Present);
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, CUNY Graduate Center and The City College New York (2004-2010)
(2004-2010) Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, Graduate Center and The City College of CUNY, New York
Study efficacy/safety mechanisms of various brain stimulation modalities and development of novel technology for non-invasive electrotherapy.
- Technology to increase focality of induced brain modulation for Transcranial Current Stimulation:Computer simulations (finite element modeling) and hardware design (device,stimulation electrodes,gels).
- Effects of Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) induced electric fields on endothelial cell barrier function.
- Evaluation of thermal effects due to tDCS.
- Effects of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) induced electric fields on brain slices.
- tDCS induced electric fields in patients with traumatic brain injury,skull defects and skull plates.
- In vitro modulation of endogenous rhythms by AC electric fields:Syncing with clinical brain stimulation. Radman T,Datta A,Peterchev A V. J Physiol 2007;584(2):369-70
- Trancranial current stimulation focality using disc and ring electrode configurations:FEM analysis. Datta A,Elwassif M,Battaglia F,Bikson M. J Neural Eng 2008;5(2):163-74
- Transcranial direct current stimulation for major depression: a general system for quantifying transcranial electrotherapy dosage. Bikson M,Bulow P,Stiller J W,Datta A, Battaglia F,Karnup S V,Postolache T T. Curr Treat Options Neurol 2008;10(5):377-85
- Establishing safety limits for transcranial direct current stimulation. Bikson M,Datta A,Elwassif M. Clin Neurophysiol 2009;120(6):1033-34
- Gyri-precise head model of transcranial DC stimulation:Improved spatial focality using a ring electrode versus conventional rectangular pad. Datta A,Bansal V,Diaz J,Patel J,Reato D, Bikson M. Brain Stimulation 2009:2(4):201-7 •Cover
- DBS-relevant electric fields increase hydraulic conductivity of in vitro endothelial monolayers. Lopez-Quintero S V,Datta A, Amaya R,Elwassif M,Bikson M,Tarbell J M. J Neural Eng 2010;7(1):16005
- Transcranial direct current stimulation in patients with skull defects and skull plates: High resolution computational FEM study of factors altering cortical current flow. Datta A, Fregni F, Bikson M. Neuroimage 2010;52(4):1268-78
- Electrodes for high-definition transcutaneous DC stimulation for applications in electrotherapy and drug-delivery. Minhas P, Bansal V, Patel J, Ho J, Diaz J, Datta A, Bikson M. J Neurosci Methods 2010;190(2):188-97
- Electrode Montages for tDCS and weak transcranial electrical stimulation: Role of “return” electrode’s position and size. Bikson M, Datta A, Rahman A, Scaturro J. Clin Neurophysiol 2010;121(12):1976-8
- Cutaneous perception during tDCS:role of electrode shape and sponge salinity. Minhas P, Datta A, Bikson M. Clin Neurophysiol 2011;122(4):637-8
- Transcranial DC stimulation in fibromyalgia:optimized cortical target supported by high-resolution computational models. Mendonca M E, Santana M B, Baptista A F, Datta A, Bikson M, Fregni F, Araujo C P. J Pain 2011;12(5):610-7 •Cover
- Optimized multi-electrode stimulation increases focality and intensity at target. Dmochowski J P, Datta A, Bikson M, Su Y, Parra L C. J Neural Eng 2011;8(4):046011
- Neuroplastic changes following rehabilitative training correlate with regional electrical field induced with tDCS. Halko M A, Datta A, Plow E B, Scaturro J, Bikson M, Merabet L B. Neuroimage 2011;57(3):885-91
- Individualized model predicts brain current flow during transcranial direct-current stimulation treatment in responsive stroke patient. Datta A, Baker J M, Bikson M, Fridriksson J. Brain Stimul 2011;4(3):169-74
- A pilot study of the tolerability,safety and effects of high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS) on pain perception. Borckardt J J, Bikson M, Frohman H, Reeves S T, Datta A, Bansal V, Madan A, Barth K, George M S. J Pain 2012;13(2):112-20 •Cover
- tDCS-Induced Analgesia and Electrical Fields in Pain-Related Neural Networks in Chronic Migraine. DaSilva A F, Mendonca M E, Zaghi S, Lopes M, Fabio DosSantos M, Spierings E L, Bajwa Z, Datta A, Bikson M, Fregni F. Headache 2012;52(8):1283-95
- Guidelines for precise and accurate computational models of tDCS. Bikson M, Datta A. Brain Stimul 2012;5(3):430-1
- Left lateralizing transcranial direct current stimulation improves reading efficiency. Turkeltaub P E, Benson J, Hamilton R H, Datta A, Bikson M, Branch Coslett H. Brain Stimul 2012;5(3):201-7
- Temperature control at DBS electrodes using heat sink:experimentally validated FEM model of DBS lead architecture. Elwassif M M, Datta A, Rahman A, Bikson M. J Neural Eng 2012;9(4):046009
- Computational models of transcranial direct current stimulation. Bikson M, Rahman A, Datta A. Clin EEG Neurosci 2012;43(3):176-83
- High-resolution modeling assisted design of customized and individualized transcranial direct current stimulation protocols. Bikson M, Rahman A, Datta A, Fregni F, Merabet L. Neuromodulation 2012;15(4):306-15
- Transcranial direct current stimulation accelerates allocentric target detection. Medina J, Beauvais J, Datta A, Bikson M, Branch Coslett H, Hamiltion R H. Brain Stimul (In Press)
- Cranial electrotherapy stimulation and transcranial pulsed current stimulation: A computer based high-resolution modeling study. Datta A, Dmochowski J P, Guleyupoglu B, Bikson M, Fregni F. Neuroimage 2013;65:280-7
- Inter-individual variation during transcranial direct current stimulation and normalization of dose using MRI-derived computational models. Datta A, Truong D, Minhas P, Parra L C, Bikson M. Front. Psychiatry 2012;3:91
- Comparing cortical plasticity induced by conventional and high-definition 4 x 1 ring tDCS: A neurophysiological study. Kuo H I, Datta A, Bikson M, Paulus W, Kuo M F, Nitsche M A. Brain Stimul 2012 Oct 13 (In Press)
- Imaging artifacts induced by electrical stimulation during conventional fMRI of the brain. Antal A, Bikson M, Datta A, Lafon B, Dechent P, Parra LC, Paulus W. Neuroimage 2012 Oct 23 (In Press)
Selected Conference Papers:
- Rational modulation of neuronal processing with applied electric fields. Bikson M,Radman T,Datta A. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2006;1:1616-9
- Electroporation of endothelial cells by high frequency electric fields:implications for DBS. Datta A,Tarbell J M,Bikson M. IEEE 33rd Annual Northeast NEBC’07 2007:138-9
- Simulation of TES focality using common and novel electrode configurations. Datta A,Battaglia F,Bikson M. IEEE 33rd Annual Northeast NEBC’07 2007:140-1
- Bio-heat Transfer Model of Transcranial DC Stimulation:Comparison of Conventional Pad versus Ring electrode. Datta A, Elwassif M,Bikson M. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:670-3
- One-dimensional representation of a neuron in a uniform electric field. Radman T,Datta A,Ramos R L,Brumberg J C, Bikson M. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:6481-4
- Introduction to electrotherapy technology. Bikson M,Datta A,Elwassif M,Bansal V,Peterchev A V. Brain Stimulation in the treatment of Pain. ed. Helena Knotkova, Ricardo Cruciani, Patricia Schofield and Joav Merrick. Nova Science, New York 2011 ISBN 978-1-60876-690-1